The Children’s Program which Chinmaya Mission holds is called ‘Balvihar’ – (Bala= child, Vihar = growth or nourishment). Hence, the main aim of this program is to nourish the cultural growth of the child.
The Balavihar program is an integral part of the Chinmaya Mission’s activities all over the world. It’s main aim and objectives are
- To provide children (aged 5 – 13 years) with an atmosphere to grow, noble ideals, healthy emotions and physical discipline.
- To imbibe in children the richness of our culture and heritage and make them aware of the glorious tradition that they hail from.
- To create self-confidence to serve and act cheerfully in the community.
- To inculcate personal discipline and a true spirit of leadership.
- To help latent faculties within the children develop, in a spirit of genuine affection, motivation and trust.
- To foster in children a sound moral compass and personal value system, to aid them in their growth.
Balvihar activity takes place once a week for a duration of 60 – 90 minutes, at a particular place and time suitable and convenient for all children and parents. All these activities are in English. Some of the activities taken up include:
- Chanting of Prayers in Sanskrit along with their explanation in English.
- Bhajans (Devotional singing)
- Stories from epics of our culture viz. the Ramayan and/or Srimad Bhagavatam, etc.
- Games & Activities
- Creative work
- Significance & Celebration of Cultural Festivals
- General knowledge discussions
- Bhagavad Geeta Chanting
We have 4 Balvihar classes running in Auckland Saturdays and Sunday (commencing soon) and 3 classes at Wellington. In Auckland, our Balvihar classes are held at:
- Mangere (Age Group: 5 – 7+ years – Junior Balvihar)
- Mangere (Age Group: 8 – 9+ years – Junior Balvihar)
- Mangere (Age Group: 10 – 11+ years – Intermediate Balvihar)
- Mangere (Age Group: 12 – 15 years – Senior Balvihar)
See the activities list for more details and contact numbers for the Children Program (Balvihar).
To enrol your child into Balvihar, please click on the link below and complete the registration form.